As a teenager Dr. Gottschalk was required to read the novel, The Plague, by Albert Camus, a well-known existentialist. Reading this novel caused him to question his belief in God and the existence of God thoroughly. Through a process of rational consideration and in discussion with friends he concluded God did exist and that it would be pointless not to serve him. Therefore he gave his life to Christ and he experienced a dramatic call to ministry about a month later. The rest, as they say, is history….
Dr. Gottschalk is married to Linda, whom he has known since they were eleven years old. They met in Sunday School and attended the same high school. Linda is a musician/ violinist and also holds a Masters of Arts in Religion having written her thesis on the medieval Serbian Orthodox archbishop, Sava Nemanjic. She is currently pursuing her doctorate in Church History at the University of Leiden, the Netherlands. The Gottschalks have been married more than 30 years and have three children. They also have one granddaughter.
In their free time, the Gottschalks enjoy making music with the church music group. They also enjoy reading detective novels and Terry Prachett. Dr. Gottschalk also likes to read the novels of Chaim Potok, James Michener, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Fyodor Dostoevsky, among others.
- B.A. Russian Language and Certificate - Russian Area Studies, Pennsylvania State University
- M.Div./Mission and Evangelism, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- M.A. & Ph.D. Institute of Philosophy, Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven (Louvain), Belgium
Areas of Academic Interest
Christian Ethics: War, Peace, Peacemaking, Reconciliation, Capital Punishment; Religious Epistemology; for example, Religion (Faith) vs. Reason; Philosophy of Religion; Evil and the Existence of God; Russian Religious Philosophy, Continental Philosophy (Phenomenology) or Islamic Philosophy
Current Administrative Responsibilities
- Chair, Examination Board
- Chair, Division of Theological and Historical Studies
Professional and Ministry Experience
- Missionary in Serbia as a part of the Eastern European Bible Institute
- Residential faculty of Eastern European Bible Institute in Vienna, Austria
- Evangelism and discipleship programs with the International Church of Evangelicals in Leuven, Belgium.
- Coordinator of the Master of Theology Program at Zaporozhye Bible Seminary, Zaporozhye, Ukraine
Academic Works, Presentations, and Theses Supervised